Ads

Monday, June 3, 2013

Good Times Indeed

Hello My Dear Friends. It was brought to my attention recently that my blog, or as I like to call it, America's last life line to reality, has been rather negative lately. That makes me sad. Not that my blog has been negative mind you, that's not my fault. It makes me sad that someone actually thought I was approachable enough to criticize me! LOL! Not really. I guess it all depends on what you perceive as negative. For instance, during a conversation today someone said "did you hear about the storm chasers that were killed in that tornado? That's so ironic". I replied "No it isn't. A storm chaser killed in a storm is actually the opposite of ironic. A 200 pound dog named Tiny is ironic".  Now, some may see that as negative. They would, of course, be wrong. That's not negative. It's informative. A negative comment would have been "Don't use words that you don't know the meaning of". You see, it's all about perception. What some people see as negative, I see as informative. So, in the spirit of compromise, I've decided to share a positive thought today! Indiana Pacers' center Roy Hibbert was fined $75,000 yesterday for using a gay slur and hurling an F-bomb during a nationally televised press conference. Hibbert, when asked about the defensive plan they were using to guard LeBron James, said, and I quote, "no homo". That's a phrase that implies the fear of appearing gay. Hibbert, of course, apologized profusely. He said he didn't mean anything by it and that it certainly didn't reflect his personal views. He then Tweeted Jason Collins (the first professional athlete to come out as gay) and said "how about a follow, I'd like to discuss something's with you". LOL. He also referred to reporters as "mother f-ers" during the same press conference. I guess when it rains, it pours! So here's my positive spin. Mr. Hibbert, I wouldn't worry about people thinking you're homophobic. I'd be more concerned with being viewed as an idiot. You see, homophobia came be overcome but stupid lasts a lifetime. Also, reaching out to Jason Collins, although really funny because, I'm guessing, he's the only gay person you think you know, adds more to the stupid theory than the contrite. Finally, let me just say, I've been a basketball fan my whole life and I have never once heard anyone say "look how close he's guarding him, dude must be gay". So Mr. Hibbert, just wipe that fear right out of your mind and play your game. I've always found it unfortunate that closed minds don't come with closed mouths. Don't you?
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment