Ads

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

You Just Ate What?

Hello my dear friends. I just caught the captor eating a peanut butter and pickle sandwich! I said to her (yes, we communicate. Don't judge me!) I said "what the hell are you eating"? Apparently peanut butter and sweet pickles was a childhood favorite of the captor. Maybe it's because the Great New York State Fair is underway, serving such  tasty treats as deep fried banana and fluff sandwiches and hot dogs served on glazed doughnuts, that made the captor nostalgic.  It got me to thinking about some of the crap that you people eat! Let's start with the egg. Have you ever wondered about the first person to pick up an egg and say "I just found this under a chicken. Let's eat it". How about seafood? I can understand eating fish, I, myself, enjoy a nice tuna florentine, but who decided to suck the insides out of a clam? How about squid? These are not things that appear to be appetizing. It brought me back to the Beijing Olympics. During the "fluff" pieces they're so fond of showing, the focused on a roadside stand that was selling deep fried scorpions on a stick. They called it a delicacy and American tourists where lined up around the block to give it a try. I couldn't help but notice that not a single native was ever in line.  I guess maybe it was the price that kept them away and not the fact that a bunch of Goobers were paying good money to eat poisonous spiders! People in Central New York gladly stand in line for an over-priced cup of boiled potatos. (They call them salt potatos). They also eat these scary white hot dogs called Coneys. Yuk! Who, exactly, decides which greens are vegetables and which are weeds? I guess it's all based on taste but it's the adventurer, the initial taster that really makes me wonder. Who would volunteer to be the first to snap the head off a crawfish and suck out what's inside? I pretty sure that's a southern thing. The captor tells a story about a trip to Florida many (many) years ago, during spring break. She and some friends went into a restaurant and asked if they had chicken wings (they're native Buffalonians). The shocked waitress exclaimed "Just the wings"! I guess it was pretty funny at the time. Anyway, my point is, just because someone says it's okay to eat something doesn't mean that you should actually eat it. Those days when Mom used to say "try it before you say you don't like it" are long gone. Think about that the next time you find yourself waiting in line for deep fried spiders!
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment