Ads

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

It's A Brave New World

Hello People. I am Nava Blue, the new leader of the Real House Cats dynasty! Unlike my predecessor PoKitty, may she rest in peace, she really cared. Now, look deeply into my eyes. Do I look like I care? Okay. I realize that many of you have just started paying attention, I mean really paying attention to what's going on. This leaves you vulnerable to those who would seek to mislead you. I am not one of those people. If I tell you something you can bet, good, bad or ugly, it's the truth. So, if, at some point, my views offend you, too bad. Go to your safe space and read Dr. Davis' 'Because I'm Worth It'. With that said, let us begin.
The latest pre-Inauguration folderal involves the President-Elect and Georgia Congressman John Lewis. In a nutshell, the Congressman said that he would be boycotting the Inauguration because he didn't believe Mr. Trump was a "legitimate president". The PEOTUS countered by saying Mr. Lewis was all talk and no action. There is no denying that Mr. Lewis was a brave leader in the civil rights movement in the 1960's. He most certainly was. However, that, alone, does not make you immune from criticism. In a time when all elected officials should be working toward healing the great divide in this nation, these unnecessary exchanges don't help. During the primary election, Congressman Lewis said of Donald Trump, "I've been around a while and Trump reminds me so much of a lot of the things that George Wallace said and did. I think demagogues are pretty dangerous, really.  We shouldn't divide people, we shouldn't separate people.” Here’s the interesting part. In October 2008 Congressman Lewis said of the campaign of John McCain & Sarah Palin that they were “sowing the seeds of hatred and division in a way that brought to mind the late Governor George Wallace and another destructive period in American politics. Sound familiar? How about this, in January 2001 Mr. Lewis boycotted the inauguration of George W. Bush saying he didn’t attend the swearing in because he didn’t believe that Mr. Bush was “the true elected president”. Anyone else see a pattern forming here? I get the feeling that Congressman Lewis is not a bi-partisan kind of guy. He certainly isn't interested in healing the divide. 
Speaking of the great divide, there;s another controversy brewing on the hill. It's over the winner of the Capitol's annual high school art competition. The winning painting came from a student in Ferguson, Missouri. It's entitled "Untitled #1". Basically, Republicans say it is offensive but the Congressional Black Caucus says it is protected art and deserves to be hung at the Capitol. Republicans have removed it several times only to have it re-hung. The Chairman of the CBC says he "might just have to kick somebody's ass if it comes down again". Classy. Anyway, I'm no art critic so I'll leave it up to you. Should this be displayed on the wall of the United States Capitol?
I'm just the messenger!
Nava Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment