Ads

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Right To Procreate

Hello my dear Friends. A recent court case has caught my attention because it poses a very interesting question. do we, as American citizens, have the right to procreate? A judge in Elyria, Ohio, has sentenced a deadbeat dad to 5 years probation and ordered him not to impregnate any women during that period or until he pays his back child support. Well, he owes over $96,000 in child support, so that option seems unlikely. The judge says that if 35-year old Asim Taylor plants his seed during his probation he will be sent to jail for one year. Taylor's attorney says the 'no new daddy' stipulation violates his clients basic rights to procreate and engage in sexual intercourse. The lawyers says the only way Taylor can "make all reasonable efforts to avoid impregnating a woman is to abstain from sex". And that, says the lawyer, violates his rights. Hummm. Vasectomy comes to mind. Anyway, it begs the question, do we have a legal right to have sex? I don't recall any mention of recreational sex in the constitution. It could, perhaps, fall under the "pursuit of happiness". The judge based his ruling on the fact that Mr. Taylor hasn't taken responsibility for the lives he's already created therefore he should refrain from creating any new lives until he mans up and supports his existing heirs.  Call me crazy, but that seems reasonable to me. There is precedent.  A Wisconsin judge ordered a man who fathered 9 children with 6 different women to keep it in his pants, as it were. No one wants the government in our bedrooms but what if, through your own reckless behavior, you invite the government in? I mean, if you're popping out kids that you can't support, the government, and in turn you and I, end up supporting them. So why then should the government not be allowed to order you to knock it off? Even if you argue that you do have the right to procreate, does anyone have the right to knowingly and purposefully create a burden on the taxpayer? I don't think so. Do you? As I said, it's an interesting question. Where do you draw the line between rights and responsibilities? If Washington has taught us anything it is that you clearly have the right to be irresponsible. But, when your irresponsibility costs me money, aren't you the one violating my rights? After all, my "pursuit of happiness" does not include supporting your illegitimate children. No one seems to have a problem with the spaying and neutering of innocent captives, such as myself. Maybe it's time to take a page from the SPCA's book. I'm not unreasonable. But if you want to run around acting like a feral cat, maybe we should start treating you like one.
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment