Ads

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Choices We Make

Hello My Dear Friends. Today, I have been contemplating the choices we make and the consequences, if any. In this crazy, litigious, 'it's not my fault', victim filled world we live in, one has to wonder if every action still has a reaction. There was a time when, if you did something wrong, you were punished. That, hopefully, taught you not to do it again. When my captor was a child and she got in trouble at school (which happened quite frequently) the real trouble came when she got home. There were always consequences. Of course, the captor has always been a Goober. That's why she spent the bulk of her teen years grounded. But, I digress. Today I learned that a group of "celebrities" has sent a letter to the President asking that he change the drug laws, replacing jail time with "intervention". The celebrities include rap mogul Russell Simmons, Lil Wayne, Rosanne Barr, Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj, and Susan Sarandon (of course) to name a few. They believe that incarcerating non violent drug offenders only adds to societal problems and destroys families and, in turn, communities. They argue that putting Mom or Dad in jail on drug charges inevitably harms the child. Hummm. So it's not Mom or Dad's decision to smoke crack that harms the child, it's their incarceration after the fact. Interesting. I never thought about it that way. Thank goodness we have Hollywood to open our eyes to the reality of the world. I, for one, would never have thought that removing the threat of jail time for drug offenses would actually strengthen families. Silly me. I guess, using that train of thought, removing the penalties for drunk driving would actually make the roads safer. You see, according the the celebs, drug abuse is not "bad choices" by an individual, it's a societal problem that claims innocent victims. Really?  So, there's no "choice" involved? "Yes, I broke the law but I shouldn't be punished. Society made me do it"! Well, if anyone knows anything about drug abuse, it's Hollywood.  I'm not totally sold on this theory but, then again, I've never claimed to be as smart as Rosanne Barr or Kim Kardashian.
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment