Ads

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mandatory Gratuity and Other Oxymorons

Hello My Dear Friends. Once again I sit here utterly confused by what you people do. There is now a growing trend of restaurants adding a "mandatory gratuity" to all checks, not just large parties. Applebee's has been doing that for a long time. I don't eat at Applebee's. "Gratuity" by definition is a "a gift or reward, usually of money, given for services rendered without claim or obligation". Restaurant owners argue that, because servers make a lower wage, tipping is necessary for their livelihood. I argue that tipping is a reward for good service and your worker's livelihood is your responsibility, not mine. I realize that the job of server is a difficult one. Customers can be difficult and many don't tip. I am not one of those people. When I get good service, not great or over the top, simply competent service, I leave a 20% tip. I think that's fair. I've been known to leave as much as a 25% tip for outstanding service. I've also left no tip in response to service that raises my blood pressure. That is my choice. If a server is rude or incompetent, that's their business. If I choose not to reward rude behavior, that's my business. What would motivate a server to go that extra mile if they know they will be rewarded either way? By the way, the courts have generally ruled that "mandatory gratuities" can not be enforced, so you don't actually have to pay them but how many people know that? So, for me, I simply won't patronize any establishment that requires tipping. Okay! So, you may be thinking, what other oxymorons bug you PoKitty? Assistant Supervisor; Live Recording; Actual Reenactment; Government Accountability; Fresh Frozen; and, my favorite, Adult Male. Enjoy what's left of the weekend!
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment