Ads

Monday, May 21, 2012

Here's a Tip. If you get a chance to wait on David Beckham-Take It!



Hello my dear friends! We all enjoy being waiting on. Some of us, like me, insist on it. Today is National Waitress and Waiter Day (I don't know why). So, word on the street is that soccer star David Beckham hit an LA pub with his teammates this weekend, ran up a $100 tab and added a zero to the check! That's right. Beckham, already known for being a generous tipper, left a $900 tip for a $100 dollar tab. That must have been some waitress! I, personally, subscribe to the 20% sliding scale on tipping. When I go to a restaurant I plan on leaving a 20% tip. However, if the service is sub-par, I subtract 2%-5% for each "infraction". The bigger the screw up, the bigger the deduction. If the service really sucks, I don't leave a tip. I know many people do but I don't believe in rewarding bad behavior. I don't hold the waiter/waitress responsible for things that are out of their control, like the quality of the food, but if I have to ask repeatedly for more coffee, well, that's a different story. I also don't tip when the "gratuity is added" on my bill. I don't like being forced to tip. I've also been known to leave more than 20%. It all depends on the service. Other celebrities that are known for their generosity include Beyonce, George Clooney and Johnny Depp. On the other end of the spectrum, LeBron James (left a $10 tip for an $800 bill), Jeremy Piven (who has been known to leave no tip at all) and Tiger Woods (also a non-tipper who claims he never carries cash). What really sets my fur on edge are people who expect a tip for simply doing their job. I had an incident at the airport a while back where a luggage handler simply picked up my suitcase and put it on the cart behind him. He then held out his hand to me, so I shook it. He pulled his hand back and said "I hope your luggage makes it". So I wrote down his name and said "I hope you still have a job in the morning". My luggage arrived safely. I can't tell you how he made out but I did report his behavior. If he had carried my bag for me, I would have tipped him. He didn't, so I didn't. Everyone has a theory on who you tip and how much. My theory is, if someone does something for you, above what they're being paid to do, then you should tip them. How much you tip is really up to you. I can tell you this, a pleasant waiter/waitress who goes out of their way to make sure your meal is enjoyable can make even bad food seem tolerable. That's worth a tip, right?
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment