Ads

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Beauty and the Beoch

Hello people. Obviously, I know a little bit more about beauty than your average Kitty. Just look at me. So I was both amused and annoyed when the validity of the 61st Annual Miss America Pageant was called into question by a, shall we say "disgruntled" Miss Pennsylvania. Miss Penn (who didn't even make the Top 16) resigned from the Pageant (after she was eliminated) via Facebook. She posted that the Pageant was fixed and that the outcome was predetermined! Blasphemy! That's like saying American Idol is fixed! Blasphemy! Miss P says she knows a contestant who saw a list of the Top 5 before the show began. That contestant, of course, denies any such list existed. P says she resigned because the contest was rigged and thus lacked her own personal sense of fair play and high moral integrity. Pageant officials say she did, in fact resign but, in her e-mail to them cited the Pageants decision (last month) to allow a transgendered contestant to compete. Whatever. Donald Trump, who runs the show says the whole thing is sour grapes and he is now suing Miss P over her allegations. Okay, I'm annoyed that something so stupid (not the allegations, the entire concept of Miss USA) has even landed on my radar. I'm amused that a beauty contestant is expressing moral outrage. Is strutting around a stage in a bikini on national television really the moral high ground? I realize that, in addition to being "beautiful" the finalists also had to think on their feet and answer difficult, earth shattering questions on Bloomy's proposed ban on large sodas, the impact of Toddlers in Tiaras and how 6 out of 11 contestant initially couldn't name the vice president. (They were tired, if you're wondering). Resigning from a meaningless competition after you've been eliminated lacks a sense of importance to me. It's like me calling a press conference to say I won't be playing in the NFL this season because I wasn't drafted. A little ridiculous if you ask me. For the (I hope)99% of you who didn't bother watching the show, it is a "beauty contest" so you make the call. Here's the "disgruntled" and possibly homophobic Miss P And here is the Winner, Miss Rhode Island You make the call! Sway

No comments:

Post a Comment