Ads

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rare signs of Intelligence

Hello my dear friends! Today was a rare day for me. Today I overheard my captor actually say something interesting! Usually all I hear is blah, blah, blah. If you know the captors, you know what I'm saying. Anyway, the loud captor was commenting on how the English language has so gone to hell that no one even seems to care anymore. Bad grammar has become the norm. I couldn't care less about the average person (note I said I couldn't care less. How many people say I could care less. I believe that is the opposite of what you mean). As a purebred, I am amazed at how often people who are paid to speak don't actually know what they're saying. I heard a woman on the news say that "police confirmed that the victim 'drowned to death' ".  If I weren't a kitty, I would have called to tell her that the victim may have "drown". I don't believe "drowned" is a word and, since drown means to die by suffocation in liquid, the whole "to death" thing is a bit redundant. There is no War on Terror. Terror is an emotion. We can not fight a war on terror anymore than we can fight a war on anxiety. The War is on Terrorism! We don't move "towards" anything.  The word is toward. Trust me. Nothing happens "afterwards". It's afterward. Seriously, it is. I know that many on-line dictionaries list these "variations" as actual words but that doesn't make it so. Irregardless is not a word.  The word is regardless or irrespective (if you're trying to impress someone). I "imply"; you "infer". You can not dress warm or drive safe. You can dress warmly. You can drive safely. You're not real cold; you're really cold. Hopefully, this will work. No! I hope this will work. I'm on a roll now! "Literally" means exactly what you say. If someone tells you they are literally freezing to death, they probably are not. "Unique" means one of a kind. Saying something is very unique means that you don't know what "unique means. Vigilant means "to be on watch". You can't be "more vigilant anymore than you can be "more full". Wow! I'm feeling better already! "Save up to 50% and more!" You can't save "up to" 50% and more. You can save up to 50% or more. You can't try and save money. You can try to save money. I'm bringing it home, (paws don't fail me now). Irony is an outcome contrary to expectation, opposite the literal meaning. Rain on your wedding day is unfortunate, it's not ironic. The inventor of the Vespa riding off a cliff is sad, maybe funny, but not ironic. "soft as concrete" or "dry as the ocean" are examples of irony. "A free ride when you've already paid" is an example of a song writer who doesn't know what irony is.
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment