Ads

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Seriously? It's Come to This?

Hello my dear friends. I swear, sometimes you people exhaust me! You humans have become so hyper sensitive that saying anything to anyone about anything will inevitably offend someone! I really think ESPN, and now MSG have gone completely overboard. New York Knicks' radio personality Spero Dedes has been "disciplined" (but not fired) by MSG and ESPN fired a headline writer for using the term "chink in the armor" when referring to flaws with New York Knicks' sensation Jeremy Lin. There was an outcry that the phrase was racially insensitive and offensive. Excuse me? I understand that the word, if used to describe an Asian American, is offensive. But the phrase "chink in the armor", for the record, originates from the Middle Ages and has been used figuratively sine the 1600's. It is a common sports cliche. It refers to weakness not ethnicity. Are we so desperate to be "Politically Correct" that we are now dissecting common phrases to look for hidden racial meaning? It's ridiculous and, quite frankly, counterproductive. I am a huge advocate of thinking before you speak, but really? The next time you wake up at "the crack of dawn" do you have to make sure there are no Dawn's around before you tell anyone? Can you no longer refer to "broad daylight" when their are women around? No more "green with envy" around the Irish, Eco-friendly or frogs! Can we even say frogs? What if there are people of French descent in the area? I, personally, am not fond of the tern "catty" being defined as malicious, but you don't see me firing people for it! My point here people is simple; For the love of Pete LIGHTEN THE *%$((&%@##^** UP! Sorry Pete!
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment